Behold, the food of my people: pretzels and beer.
It’s almost spring, which means there are plenty of birdies singing sweet songs in the trees, budding and blooming flowers, and the beginning of sunny days sneaking into the week. All things that I’m absolutely loving at the moment.
However, it also means that we’re about half a year away from Oktoberfest and football season, so my food timing is kinda questionable right now. But I’m on one of my kicks here; you know how I get.
It all started when I heard that there’s going to be a craft beer and pretzel festival in the city next month. 😍 Be still my beating heart, right?!
Obviously the festival isn’t far away, but considering the fact that my brain has been overloaded with visions of glasses of golden ale and knotted, salted snacks, I’ve been struggling. Instead of continuing to count down the days, I decided to take matters into my own hands and revisit an oldie but goodie: Bratwurst Sliders with Beer Cheese and Beer Braised Onions.
You might have noticed that I recently updated my Pretzel Roll recipe from way-back-when– this time, baking them together so that they connect as potential slider buns. And you know I’m not one to squander that sort of freshly-baked opportunity, so I sliced those babies open and filled ’em to the brim with all sorts of beer-y foods.
Like beer brats.
And beer cheese.
And beer braised onions.
What can I say? I’m a woman who knows what she wants.
(It’s beer. All up in my food. And to wash it all down with.)
These Bratwurst Sliders make the perfect party food, game day snack, or hold-you-over-until-a-pretzel-festival dish. Because let’s be real here, there’s no bad time for a loaded up pretzel bun sandwich. No matter what brings you to make these Bratwurst Sliders, just be sure to remember to snap a picture and put it on Instagram with the tag #hostthetoast to show them off. That way I can check them out and drool over yours!Print
Bratwurst Sliders Recipe Type : Main Cuisine: German Author: Morgan Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 20 mins Total time: 25 mins Bratwurst sliders with beer cheese, beer braised onions, and pretzel buns! The beer cheese is adapted from a recipe by Rachel Ray.
- 12 pretzel buns (click for recipe) or other slider buns
- For the beer-braised onions:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large white onion, sliced thin
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle German beer
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- For the bratwurst:
- 10 pre-cooked beer bratwursts, cut into fourths
- For the beer cheese:
- 10 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup German beer
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- Hot sauce and Worcestershire, to taste
- To start, make the beer braised onions. Add thinly sliced onions and about a tablespoon of butter to a medium-sized frying pan. Saute the onions until soft and translucent.
- Add sugar, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and pour in the entire bottle of beer.
- Cook over medium heat until the onions lightly begin to caramelize and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Scoop onions into a bowl and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Add the sliced bratwurst to your pan and saute on medium-high until the skin has browned in spots.
- As the bratwurst cooks, toss the cheeses and cornstarch in a medium-sized bowl. In a small saucepan, bring a cup of lager to a boil. Stir in the minced garlic.
- Bring the heat down to simmer and add cheese mixture, a handful at a time, stirting constantly with a wooden spoon to melt the cheese evenly.
- After the cheese is completely melted, stir in the brown mustard. Add hot sauce and worcestershire sauce, to taste, if desired.
- Layer the pretzel bun bottoms with the bratwurst, then the beer cheese, and then the onions. Cover with the top buns and serve warm.
- Serve bratwurst, warm beer cheese, and onions on rolls and enjoy!
Get recipes delivered hot & fresh to your inbox!