Bratwurst Sliders Recipe Type : Main Cuisine: German Author: Morgan Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 20 mins Total time: 25 mins Bratwurst sliders with beer cheese, beer braised onions, and pretzel buns! The beer cheese is adapted from a recipe by Rachel Ray.
- 12 pretzel buns (click for recipe) or other slider buns
- For the beer-braised onions:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large white onion, sliced thin
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle German beer
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- For the bratwurst:
- 10 pre-cooked beer bratwursts, cut into fourths
- For the beer cheese:
- 10 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup German beer
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- Hot sauce and Worcestershire, to taste
- To start, make the beer braised onions. Add thinly sliced onions and about a tablespoon of butter to a medium-sized frying pan. Saute the onions until soft and translucent.
- Add sugar, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, and pour in the entire bottle of beer.
- Cook over medium heat until the onions lightly begin to caramelize and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Scoop onions into a bowl and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Add the sliced bratwurst to your pan and saute on medium-high until the skin has browned in spots.
- As the bratwurst cooks, toss the cheeses and cornstarch in a medium-sized bowl. In a small saucepan, bring a cup of lager to a boil. Stir in the minced garlic.
- Bring the heat down to simmer and add cheese mixture, a handful at a time, stirting constantly with a wooden spoon to melt the cheese evenly.
- After the cheese is completely melted, stir in the brown mustard. Add hot sauce and worcestershire sauce, to taste, if desired.
- Layer the pretzel bun bottoms with the bratwurst, then the beer cheese, and then the onions. Cover with the top buns and serve warm.
- Serve bratwurst, warm beer cheese, and onions on rolls and enjoy!