Adapted from Taste.com.au
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped chives, plus more to serve
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 24-32 stalks fresh asparagus, tough ends removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 small, fresh lasagna sheets
- 8 slices deli ham
- Fresh sliced basil, to serve
Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil a 12 x 8″ baking dish.
In a large bowl, mix together the cheeses, milk, and mustard until well-combined. Add in the chives, crushed red pepper, and salt and pepper, to taste. Pour half of the cheese mixture into the prepared baking dish and smooth evenly to cover the bottom.
In a separate large bowl, toss the asparagus with oil, salt, and pepper. Place a lasagna sheet on a clean cutting board. Lay a slice of ham over the lasagna sheet. Top with 3-4 asparagus spears and roll up somewhat tightly to enclose. Place the roll-up in the prepared dish, seam side down. Repeat until no asparagus remain. Pour the remaining cheese over the center of the cannelloni.
Bake until the asparagus is tender and the cheese is beginning to brown, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with additional chives and fresh basil, to serve.
If you can’t find fresh lasagna sheets, instead buy dried sheets and submerge them in hot water just until they’re pliable. Then dunk them in ice water and keep them in the water to prevent sticking until you’re ready to use them.