And so it has begun.
Every 3 minutes, James has been getting notifications from ESPN about another football player who is injured and out for the season, roster projections, and anything that might even mildly pertain to football in some obscure way.
He keeps patiently explaining to me every single thing that I somehow forgot about the game since last year. Is a safety a guy or a play? Both? How does one “run downhill” on a flat field? People “pitch” in football? WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?!
Despite the fact that I am riding the struggle bus straight in to football season, I am so excited about it. I like watching the games. I like drinking the beer. I like mimicking the reactions of everyone else in the room so they totally think I have a clue about what’s going on.
But most of all, I love the food. (Surprise, surprise!) Wings, dips, chips, and more– it doesn’t get much better than that when sitting around the TV on game day.
James has been begging me lately to make another dip, insisting that I “give the people what they want”. (I’m serious, he said exactly that.) I had a few cans of corn laying around, so I mixed it in with a bunch of my favorite ingredients on a whim and hoped for the best.
And “the best” is exactly what I wound up with.
Loaded up with bacon, jalapenos, and cheese, this dip will be an instant Football Sunday classic. A sprinkle of basil might seem a bit weird here, but trust me, it brings the dip to the next level.
Try not to eat the whole skillet to yourself. I’m telling you, I could have if everyone else didn’t swoop in the second it came out of the oven. Cheesy Bacon Jalapeno Corn Dip is my new weakness.
In fact, before you dig in, share a photo on Instagram and tag #hostthetoast to show it off to all of your hungry friends… and me. I will be living vicariously through you. I can’t wait to see your tasty dip!
- 8 strips bacon
- 2 (11 oz) cans whole kernel sweet corn, drained
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a cast iron or ovenproof skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until slightly crispy. Remove from heat and set on paper towels to absorb excess grease. Drain off all but 1 teaspoon of the grease remaining in the pan. We want to use the bacon grease to grease the pan and add more bacon flavor to the dip. Crumble the bacon.
- Combine the corn, jalapeno, cream cheese, mozzarella, salt, cayenne, half of the bacon, and half of the basil. Scoop into the skillet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining bacon and basil, and parmesan cheese to taste. Serve immediately.