Is anyone else here a macaroni and cheese addict? It’s okay, you don’t have to be ashamed. If you’re the type of person who gets giddy when you see Mac N’ Cheese on the side dish menu, you’ve come to the right place.
I’ve made Cauliflower Baked Mac N’ Cheese for those watching their figures, and Grilled Mac N’ Beer Cheese Sliders with Beer, Bacon, & Tomato Jam for everyone else (haha), but it’s just not enough cheesy, macaroni-filled deliciousness for this blog. Not even close. As of today, I vow to change that, and share my love of a variety of Mac N’ Cheese recipes with you. Starting with Chicken Enchilada Mac N’ Cheese. Drool.
We all know Mac N’ Cheese makes a great side dish, but I always want to eat it as a full meal. That’s why I decided to add some shredded chicken, green chilis, corn, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, and spices to bring our favorite side to main course status. Also, who doesn’t love a south-of-the-border twist? I know I do.
This Mac N’ Cheese was creamy, flavorful, and all around enjoyable. Best of all, it was pretty easy to make– all coming together on the stove top. Your friends and family will LOVE this recipe, so make sure there’s enough for everyone!
- ½ lb elbow macaroni
- 2 eggs
- 6 oz evaporated milk
- 6 oz enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 12 oz shredded American cheese
- 6 oz shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 6 oz canned corn
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chiles
- ½ lb chicken breast, boiled and shredded
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped, plus extra to top
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and diced, to top
- Chopped tomatoes, to top
- Whisk the enchilada sauce, evaporated milk, eggs, and seasonings together until well-combined. Set aside.
- Boil the chicken breasts. Remove from the water and shred.
- Bring the water back to a boil, add in the macaroni. Cook to al dente. Drain the pasta and discard the water.
- Return the pot to low heat. Add the macaroni back in, as well as the butter and corn, and stir until the butter has melted. Add the evaporated milk/egg mixture and slowly add the cheeses. Stir until smooth and creamy. Stir in the chilies, shredded chicken, cilantro, and green onion. Once well combined, garnish with avocado, tomato, and a bit more cilantro, and serve.
Get recipes delivered hot & fresh to your inbox!