Happy Fourth of July! Well, okay, I’m one day early, but I really wanted to make sure that I got the chance to say it, and that I got to share these “The Bomb” Seafood Packets with you before your Independence Day celebrations!
The Cilantro-Garlic-Lime Seafood Packets are loaded up with shrimp, clams, scallops, chorizo sausage, corn, and cherry tomatoes, which steam in their own juices in these individual-sized serving packets. Fresh cilantro, lime juice and zest, garlic, and a bit of butter (and maybe even a few slices of jalapeno, if you like some extra heat) add extra flavor to the juices, which make a great dip for crusty bread or sauce for rice or pasta!
I affectionately call them “The Bomb” Seafood Packets, because they disappeared at my house in seconds, but I made sure to save a packet for my dad, who is a huge clam-lover. I gave him the leftover packet the next day, and 2 hours later, got the following text:
“Those packets were the bomb.”
“Seriously, the bomb!”
“THEY WERE THE BOMB!!!!!!!!”
So I’m pretty sure he liked them just as much as I did.
All you need to do for these easy packets is divide all of your ingredients up into individual portions, place them each on their own foil sheets, zest some lime on top using your microplane, seal your foil into packets, and grill or bake until the clams open and everything is ready to eat! Yum!
Make these for your next get-together and watch everyone go wild for them!
- 20 littleneck clams
- 1/2 lb uncooked medium shrimp, deveined*
- 1/2 lb sea scallops
- 2 ears fresh sweet corn, husks removed, cleaned, cut into fourths
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 jalapeno, sliced and seeds removed (optional)
- 1 cup chorizo sausage (casings removed and crumbled)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime
- Bread to serve
- Preheat the grill on high or preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Cut 4 18×12″ sheets of heavy-duty foil and spray them with a bit of nonstick spray.
- Divide the clams, shrimp, scallops, corn, cherry tomatoes, jalapeno, and chorizo among the sheets of foil, piling onto the center of the foil. Sprinkle each seafood pile with a clove of garlic, 2 tablespoons of cilantro, a pinch of salt, and a squeeze of lime. Top each with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Using a microplane, zest a bit of lime over each packet. Sprinkle each seafood pile with just a tiny bit of water.
- To seal the packets, bring up the two sides until the edges meet, centered over the seafood. Roll or fold the foil down together to seal, leaving a bit of space for the heat and steam to collect and circulate. Then roll up the remaining sides. Your packets should be completely sealed.
- Reduce the grill heat to medium and place the packets on the grill. Grill, covered, for 20 minutes, or until your clams have opened, shrimp is pink, scallops are white, and chorizo is cooked through. If using the oven, cook in the oven for the same duration. Turn once halfway through.
- Serve with bread for dipping.
* I cooked my shrimp with the shells on and peeled them as I ate, but if that freaks you out, just peel the shrimp before cooking.
Get recipes delivered hot & fresh to your inbox!