For the Chipotle Baja Sauce:
- 1/2 cup sour cream or vegan sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or vegan mayo
- 1-2 finely minced chipotles in adobo
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Kosher salt, to taste
For the Crispy Hearts of Palm:
- 2 14-ounce cans Reese Select Hearts of Palm, drained
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup all purpose flour or flour of your choice (such as almond flour)
- 3/4 cup seltzer water
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from canned chipotles in adobo
- 2 cups of panko bread crumbs
- Oil, for frying
- Toasted corn tortillas
- 1/2 small head green cabbage, finely shredded
- Pico de gallo
- Add all of the Chipotle Baja Sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until well-combined. Set aside.
- Cut each heart of palm piece in half, crosswise, and press each piece gently with the palm of your hand to flatten. Try to keep the hearts of palm as intact as possible, but it’s okay if a few pieces fall apart in the process.
- In a small bowl, combine the cumin, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk about half of the spice mixture together with the flour. Add in the seltzer water and adobo sauce and whisk until well-combined to form the wet mix.
- Whisk the remaining spice mixture into a medium-sized bowl filled with the panko breadcrumbs to form the dry mix. Using a fork, transfer one heart of palm at a time to the wet mix and then to the dry mix, turning to coat. Transfer the breaded hearts of palm to a plate until ready to fry.
- Pour a half-inch of oil into a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Once heated, fry the hearts of palm in batches until crisp, about 4-5 minutes per side.* Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- Serve on toasted corn tortillas. Top with shredded green cabbage, pico de gallo, and the Chipotle Baja Sauce.
* If you’d prefer, place the breaded hearts of palm on a foil-lined baking sheet, spray lightly with oil, and bake at 425° until crispy, about 15-18 minutes, flipping halfway through.