We’re at the latter half of the Tabasco 10 Challenge now, with plenty of deliciousness still to come. As I’ve mentioned earlier in the week, I decided to make recipes for all different times of day (and to use every ingredient at least once) so I could get the most out of the challenge. On Monday, I shared the breakfast recipe: Spicy Egg Clouds in Ciabatta Boats. Tuesday was the lunch recipe: Chipotle Chicken Fried Rice. Yesterday was the snack: Crispy Tabasco Zucchini Chips. And today, we’re talking appetizers with some Jalapeno-Honey Glazed Cheesy Chicken Poppers.
The recipe name says it all.
They’re spicy, they’re sweet, they’re cheesy, and they’re begging you to make them to munch on as soon as you can.
What makes these so great? They’re like very tiny chicken meatballs, except the bulk of the inside is actually made of gooey melted mozzarella cheese. As if that wasn’t enticing enough, they’re also brushed with a mixture of Jalapeno Tabasco and honey and baked to make a sticky, sweet, and spicy glaze. As my friend Veronica would say, they’re abso-lutely LUSH. Veronica is in town visiting from Spain right now and she has picked up all sorts of sayings from around Europe since she left the US 2 years ago– I’m stealing them all. Did I use “lush” correctly? Probably not, but I should get some points for trying.
But the point is that these are fan-freaking-tastic, and they only require 4 main ingredients. That’s right, just 4. Chicken, mozzarella, Jalapeno Tabasco, and honey!
I had 10 ingredients to choose from for the Tabasco 10 Challenge, but who’d have thought that using just 4 of them would make something so tasty? Here’s what I was working with, in case you’re curious:
Now, obviously this is a sponsored post, but all recipes and opinions are my own. What would you have come up with if you were doing the challenge?
Here are some other bloggers who are participating. Feel free to check out how they got creative with it!
But I digress, back to these Jalapeno-Honey Glazed Cheesy Chicken Poppers! Whether you want to eat them as a party appetizer or game day grub, be sure to whip up a batch soon! When you do, take a photo and tag #hostthetoast on Instagram or Twitter to show off your creation!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons Jalapeno Tabasco, divided, plus more to serve
- 40 mozzarella pearls, drained and dabbed dry
- Oil, for pan frying
- 3 tablespoons honey
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, salt, pepper, and ½ teaspoon of Jalapeno Tabasco.
- Create balls out of the ground chicken that are just slightly larger than the mozzarella pearls. You should wind up with about 40 chicken meatballs.
- Press the mozzarella balls into the centers of each chicken meatball. Use your palms to roll the chicken around the mozzarella entirely, making sure they pearls are fully covered to prevent leaks.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brown the meatballs in batches and remove to a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- Place the browned meatballs on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine the honey and the remaining Jalapeno Tabasco. Brush the mixture over the meatballs.
- Bake until completely cooked through and the glaze begins to darken, about 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with additional Jalapeno Tabasco, to dip.
Get recipes delivered hot & fresh to your inbox!