- 2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 1/4 cups (about 20 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup finely minced chipotles plus sauce from canned chipotles in adobo
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Taco fixings such as tortillas, chopped tomatoes, queso fresco, and additional cilantro, to serve.
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the chicken, crushed tomatoes, chipotle peppers, garlic, honey, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and salt.
- Cover and cook on low until the chicken can be easily shredded, about 4-5 hours.
- Shred the chicken and mix into the sauce. Stir in lime juice and chopped cilantro. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Use as a filling for enchiladas, burritos, or tacos.