- 5–6 large russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into thin chunks
- 15 ounce can refried beans, thinned with a bit of water
- 5–6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup red salsa
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 sliced serrano pepper, optional
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, to serve
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, to top
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Pierce the potatoes all over with a fork and place them on a large plate. Microwave for 12 minutes or until softened.
- Cut off the upper 1/4 of each potato. Using a paring knife, cut around the center of each potato to outline the part you will remove. Using a spoon, scoop out the center of the potato to create a potato skin, leaving some potato intact around the edges.
- Place the potatoes cut-side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush them all over with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Flip the potatoes over and season the insides of the potato boats. Place the cheese in the bottom of each potato boat. Cover with refried beans, leaving enough room to fit an egg on top.
- Crack an egg on top of each potato boat. If the whites slide over, you should be able to reposition the potato to be more level and place the egg white back in. If you can’t get the whole egg white in, that’s okay, as long as the yolk stays put.
- Bake the potatoes until the whites just set and the yolk is still soft, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, top with salsa, avocado, pepper slices, and cilantro. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired, and serve warm with a lime wedge and additional salsa.