- 3 cups shredded smoked gouda (or cheese of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Kosher salt, to taste (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup flour, or as needed
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl, mix together the shredded cheese, baking powder, salt, and eggs. Then sprinkle over a bit of flour at a time and knead until a barely-sticky dough forms.
- Roll into small, ping-pong sized balls, keeping in mind that the cheese balls puff up a bit as they fry.
- Fry in a high-walled, heavy bottomed skillet or pot with nearly enough oil to cover the cheese balls until golden. Set on a paper towel lined plate briefly to absorb excess oil.
- Serve warm.