Adapted from the Zahav cookbook by Michael Solomonov
- 1 large whole head garlic, broken apart into unpeeled cloves
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, from about 3 lemons
- 1 heaping cup tahini paste
- Ice water, as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste
- Kosher salt, to taste
- In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine the unpeeled garlic and lemon juice. Pulse until pulpy. Pour the garlic-lemon mixture into a large bowl through a fine mesh strainer. Using the back of a spoon, press as much liquid out as possible and then discard the remaining garlic and paper solids caught by the strainer.
- Whisk in the tahini paste until thick. Add ice water, a couple of tablespoons at a time, and continue to whisk until smooth and thinned to your desired consistency. Whisk in the cumin and kosher salt, to taste. Serve or refrigerate for up to a week.