- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 6 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound flank steak, cut into chunks
- 16 shishito peppers, cut in half if necessary
- 1 small red onion, cut into chunks
- Sesame seeds, to serve
- Green onions, sliced, to serve
- Combine the soy sauce, canola oil, honey, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil in a large bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Add the flank steak and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours and no more than 8 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Clean and oil the grilling grates.
- Thread the beef, shishito peppers, and red onion chunks onto metal skewers, alternating as you go to fill the skewers from top to bottom. (See note.) Season with additional salt and pepper.
- Grill the skewers until the steak is seared on all sides and center of beef reaches desired doneness, about 3-4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions. Serve warm.
Note: If using bamboo skewers instead of metal ones, soak them in water for at least an hour before grilling.