If I could only eat one breakfast food for the rest of my life, it would be this one.
This recipe is slightly adapted from Half Baked Harvest's Crispy Kale BLT Croque Madames, and when I say slightly, I mean ever-so-slightly, because sometimes you just have to appreciate perfection when you find it and try not to mess it up too much.
Speaking of perfection, can you think of a more perfect meal to serve for Mother's Day brunch? I mean, is there ANYTHING BETTER than a breakfast sandwich of crispy bacon, smokey cheddar, fresh tomatoes and arugula, creamy avocado, and a perfectly fried egg? No. The answer is absolutely, 100%, no. This is as good as it gets.
- ½ tablespoon butter
- ½ tablespoon flour
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup smoked cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 handful arugula
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 slices whole wheat Italian bread (or bread of your liking)
- ½ an avocado, sliced
- 2 eggs, fried
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lay the bacon on a foil-lined baking sheet and cook until crisp, about 20 minutes.
- As the bacon cooks, melt the butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and continue to whisk until golden, about 1 minute. Slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and cook for an additional minute. Remove from heat and stir in ½ cup of the shredded smoked cheddar cheese, a bit at a time, until smooth.
- Butter the outsides of the 4 slices of bread. On the inside of each, spread the cheese sauce, saving about 2 tablespoons worth for the tops of the sandwiches.
- Layer on the arugula, tomato slices, and 4 slices of bacon on each. Then, sandwich the bread together.
- Preheat the broiler to high.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter. Place both sandwiches in the pan and cook until golden brown on each side (like grilled cheese, about 2 minutes per side), flipping carefully.
- Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet and top with the remaining cheese sauce and the remaining shredded cheese. Put under the broiler for about 1 minute, or until the cheese is all nicely melted.
- Top each sandwich with 3-4 slices of avocado and a fried egg.
- Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins