- 2 medium eggplants
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- Juice of one large lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, optional
- Pomegranate Seeds, to garnish
- Pita, for dipping
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the tahini, lemon juice, cumin, and salt. Cover and refrigerate.
- Turn the broiler on high and adjust the oven rack to middle position. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Pierce the eggplants all over with a fork to let steam escape. Place the eggplants on the baking sheet and broil, turning every minute or so, until the skin darkens, about 8-10 minutes total.
- Turn off the broiler, but leave the eggplants in the oven. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F and roast the eggplants for 30 more minutes, or until the eggplant is very soft. Let cool.
- Split the eggplants in half and drain the excess water. Use a spoon to scrape out the roasted eggplant and add it to the refrigerated tahini mixture.
- Mash the eggplant into the tahini mixture until smooth or quickly process it together. Drizzle the top with olive oil and sprinkle with a few pomegranate seeds.
- Serve with pita, crackers, chips, or veggies.