For the Wings:
- 3 lbs chicken wingettes
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 canned chipotle chile, minced, plus 1 teaspoon canned adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- Green onion, chopped, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a grate on top. Spray the grate lightly with nonstick spray. Move the oven rack to the lower middle position.
- Dab the chicken wings with a paper towel to dry them. In a large freezer bag, combine the wingettes, baking powder, and salt, and toss to coat the wings well. Remove the wings from the bag and lay them out on the grate, skin side up.
- Bake on the lower middle rack for 30 minutes.
- Move the rack to the upper middle position and increase the temperature to 425 degrees F. Bake for an additional 45 minutes to 1 hour or until crisp and golden brown, turning the tray once.
- As the wings cook, prepare the sauce.
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients (except the green onion) and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce to a low simmer and let cook until slightly reduced and the wings are baked.
- Toss the wings in the sauce and garnish with green onion. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins