- 2 pounds (32 ounces) assorted berries such as strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons (1.5 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup cold buttermilk, plus more for brushing
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a large (9×13-inch) baking dish with softened butter.
- Prepare the berry filling. Add the berries, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, cornstarch, and salt to the baking dish and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Make the cornmeal biscuit dough. In a food processor or large bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and butter. Pulse or cut together until pea-sized crumbs form, and then pour in the buttermilk and vanilla extract and mix until a well-combined dough forms. If the mixture is too dry, add buttermilk, a tablespoon at a time, until mostly smooth, being careful not to overwork the dough.
- Create the biscuits. Drop the biscuit dough evenly over the fruit, and then brush with buttermilk to help them brown. Sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired, for added texture and sweetness.
- Bake and serve. Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, or until the fruit is bubbly and the biscuits are golden-brown. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes, then serve warm with extra berries and vanilla ice cream.