The Super Bowl is in less than two weeks, which means that I’m going to make as many appetizers as possible to pile into my face hole until the big game arrives. Sometimes, I’ll even combine appetizers because I just can’t choose between them. Who doesn’t love a little hybrid hors d’ouevre? Anyway, I’ll be sharing all of these recipes right here, on the blog, so consider this your one-way ticket to tasty-town.
I’m proud to announce that this year I cracked down on the whole “learn to actually understand football, and not just the ‘field goal’ and ‘touchdown’ parts” thing. It went well. In fact, it went really well– I now know things like who belongs in which conference, what a two point conversion is… who got arrested, and… uhm… other extremely relevant things. Really, there are other things. I promise there are other things, I just can’t think of them right now. I’m feeling pressured.
OK, I wouldn’t call myself an expert, but that’s probably just because I was multitasking making Game Day snacks all season long and therefore couldn’t absorb it all. Just nod along.
Anyway, to reward myself for my new NFL knowledge which totally exists, I decided to make the ultimate football snack to close out the championship games: Buffalo Chicken Mozzarella Logs. It’s a mash-up of Simple Slow Cooker Shredded Buffalo Chicken, Mozzarella Sticks, and Egg Rolls. Do you feel that? I think that’s the feeling of our collective salivary glands all going into overdrive.
Would you believe me if I said that this three-in-one recipe was actually super easy? Because I’m about to do that. As long as you have a slow cooker, the Buffalo Chicken comes together with only a few minutes worth of effort (and it’s truly fool-proof). After that, all you need is a pack of mozzarella cheese sticks, a pack of egg roll wrappers, and some oil to make magic happen.
If, for some strange reason, you aren’t a fan of buffalo sauce, try the same thing with BBQ sauce or pizza sauce instead. Yum! As long as you don’t transfer too much sauce to the egg roll wrapper, you can be as creative as you like!
Buffalo Chicken Mozzarella Logs
- Total Time: 6 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- 1 1/2 cups Simple Shredded Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken
- 1 pack of 12 mozzarella string cheese sticks
- 1 pack of 12 egg roll wrappers
- 1 large egg white
- Oil, for frying
- Buffalo sauce, ranch, and/or blue cheese, to dip
- Green onion, to garnish
- Prepare the buffalo chicken.
- Heat 1″ of oil in a high-walled, heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg white and a tablespoon of water. Set out the egg roll wrappers, covering the stack with a lightly dampened rag or paper towel as you work so that they don’t dry out.
- Take one egg roll wrapper from the stack and place it down in front of you so that it is positioned like a diamond (one corner pointing toward you, one away from you). In a line down the center of the egg roll, scoop 2 tablespoons of buffalo chicken. Make sure that you let excess buffalo sauce drip off before placing it into the egg roll wrapper so that the wrapper doesn’t get soggy.
- On top of the buffalo chicken, place a mozzarella string cheese stick.
- Fold the top corner of the egg roll wrapper down. Fold the bottom corner up. Using a pastry brush, brush the egg mixture on the right side of the egg roll wrapper.
- Fold the left side of the egg roll wrapper over the buffalo chicken and cheese, and tuck the corner under slightly, like you would a burrito. Roll the egg roll over so that the egg white sticks the right side to the rest of the egg roll. You should now have the typical egg roll shape. Check to make sure there are no tears or gaps (if they are, push them together and seal with egg white). Set aside.
- Continue until all of the egg rolls have been formed.
- When the oil reaches 350 degrees F, place in 3 of the egg rolls, seam-side down. (You can tell the oil is ready when you stick the handle of a wooden spoon in the very center of the pan, and the oil begins to bubble around it.) Cook until golden and crisp, turning to brown evenly. Remove the egg rolls from the oil and let drain on a paper towel while you fry the next batch.
- Serve warm with buffalo sauce, ranch, and/or blue cheese, and green onion to garnish!
- Prep Time: 6 hours
- Cook Time: 10 mins
Trish @ Well Worn Fork says
I could put a serious dent in a plate full of these!
Oh my! You are killing it! I want to come to your Super Bowl party!
I made these this past weekend. They were AMAZING and surprisingly easy. I’ve never worked with egg roll wraps before but it was not nearly as hard or messy as I was expecting. There’s plenty of room for experimentation with these, too. Try using Hot Buffalo if you’re a little braver (since these weren’t all that spicy, what with the ranch and butter being added to the chicken).
How about a baked version? Wonton skins make a good substitute and bake crispy in no time. To the laboratory! 🙂
How did the baked version with the wonton wraps turn out? I want to stay away from fried foods.
These seems a bit big for use as an app. I would cut the cheese sticks in half and use smaller wrappers. Seems too be easier to dip & eat.
Saw this picture on Twitter, and I simply had to find the recipe! It looks sooooo good. Definitely going to make it soon. 🙂
Cheri Mello says
This LOOKS AWESOME ❤️ Oh Man!! I Showed My Husband HE thought they Looked Great TOO!! YUM.