For the Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Filling:
- 3 1/2 cups shredded chicken (poached, leftover, or from rotisserie)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce, plus more to taste
- 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
For the Ranch Potato Dough:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons buffalo sauce
- 1 (3.74 ounce) pouch Idaho Spuds Creamy Ranch Mashed Potato flakes
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Additional green onion, buffalo sauce, and ranch or blue cheese dressing, for serving
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the cheesy buffalo chicken filling ingredients and pulse until the chicken is finely shredded and the mixture is well-combined. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Pour in the chicken broth and buffalo sauce, and bring to a light boil. Add the Idaho Spuds Creamy Ranch Mashed Potato flakes and cook, stirring often, until the mixture begins to boil again. Slowly mix in the flour, a bit at a time, until a dough forms. Be sure to stir constantly to prevent the dough from burning on the bottom. The dough should be tacky but hold together well.
- Allow the dough to cool just slightly, until it can be safely handled. While still warm, knead the dough until smooth.
- Remove a piece of the dough and roll it into a ball, about the size of a golf ball. Use your fingers to press down and outward from the center of the ball, forming it into a bowl-like shape. Place a tablespoon of the buffalo chicken filling inside of the dough bowl and mold the dough around the filling in a teardrop shape. Repeat until all of the croquettes have been shaped and no dough remains.
- Fill a bowl with very cold water, and place the breadcrumbs in a second bowl. Working one croquette at a time, dip your fingers in the water and run them over the croquettes to help smooth and seal the dough. Wet the croquette well, and then dip it in the breadcrumbs, turning to fully coat. Set aside and repeat to coat all of the croquettes.
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot, heat 2 inches of oil to 350°F. Fry the croquettes, a few at a time, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides– about 3-4 minutes. Using tongs, remove the croquettes from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate or baking rack to drain of excess oil and cool.
- Serve warm, with additional buffalo sauce, ranch or blue cheese dressing, and sliced green onion, if desired.
After frying, you can freeze the croquettes in a large, sealable plastic bag. When ready to serve, reheat them (from frozen) in a 350°F oven until heated through, about 35 minutes.