This game day snack is loaded up with all of your favorite chili cheese dog ingredients (plus a few more, because we like our chili dogs-- and our dips-- to be out-of-this-world). Make it for a crowd and watch it disappear!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 jalapeno chile, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 16 oz can kidney beans, drained
- 1 16 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 plum (Roma) tomatoes, diced
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 lb bacon, cooked and diced
- 6 hot dogs, cooked and diced
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- Snipped fresh chives or green onions for garnish
- Brown the beef in a large, high-walled skillet over medium heat with a tablespoon of canola oil.
- Add in the peppers, celery, onion, jalapeno, and garlic. Saute until the vegetables become slightly tender.
- In a seperate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the beef and vegetable mixture, stirring well.
- Cook until the vegetables are completely tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add kidney beans, crushed tomato, diced tomatoes, salt and pepper and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. The chili should become very thick.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Mix in cream cheese and the chopped hot dogs and pour into a casserole dish.
- Top with 3/4 of the cheddar cheese and half of the bacon. Bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Garnish with the chives/green onions, bacon, and the remaining cheese. Serve with potato chips, tortilla chips, fritos, or bread.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Category: Appetizer