- 1 pound chorizo sausage, skins removed
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 canned chipotle in adobo sauce, minced, plus more to taste
- 1 (3-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup pepitas, to top
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro, to top
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat, cook and crumble chorizo until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo to a paper towel-lined plate, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in pan.
- In the rendered drippings, saute the onion until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and chipotle pepper and continue to cook for 1 minute. Gradually add 1/2 cup of the broth and use to deglaze the pot, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom with a wooden spoon.
- Add the butternut squash, honey, and 3 1/2 more cups of broth, then season with cumin and a generous amount of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer until the squash is very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and, using an immersion blender, carefully puree the soup until smooth. If necessary, add more of the remaining broth to thin. Taste and add more chipotle pepper for extra heat, if desired. Season with additional salt, to taste.
- In a small bowl, mix the sour cream with lime juice. Dollop sour cream on top of each bowl and lightly swirl into the soup. Top with the chorizo crumbles, pepitas, and cilantro. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour