For the Shredded Chipotle Chicken:
- 12 slices bacon
- 2 chopped chipotle peppers plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from canned chipotles in adobo
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup water or chicken broth
For the Chipotle Mayo:
- 1 minced chipotle chile plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from canned chipotles in adobo
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
For the Melts:
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice, or apple cider vinegar
- 12 slices hearty bread
- 12 slices Land O Lakes® Deli American
- 1/4 cup microgreens and/or chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- To start, cook the bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Set aside for later. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease and return to medium-high Add the chopped chipotle peppers and minced garlic, reserving the adobo sauce for later. Sauté, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Add in the chicken breasts and season all over with salt and pepper. Cook until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes per side. Then, pour in the water or chicken broth, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Cook for about 8 more minutes, or until the chicken shreds apart easily with a fork and is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chipotle mayo. In a small bowl, mix together 1 minced chipotle chile plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce and ½ cup mayonnaise until well-combined. Taste and adjust with more adobo sauce, if desired. Set aside.
- Transfer the cooked chicken to a bowl and shred, then toss in any remaining liquid from cooking. Set aside.
- Prepare to assemble the sandwiches. Brush the avocado slices with lemon or lime juice. Spread a thin layer of chipotle mayo on each slice of bread. Place one slice of Land O Lakes® Deli American on 6 of the slices of bread, cutting the slices in half diagonally and layering if necessary to fit on top of the bread. Top with the shredded chicken, avocado slices, microgreens and/or cilantro, another slice for each sandwich, and the remaining bread, mayo-side down.
- Cook the melts. Heat a griddle or pan to medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons butter, place two sandwiches at a time on the griddle and cook on each side for about 3 minutes, or until the Deli American is fully melted and the bread is crisp. Transfer to a plate and repeat until all of the melts have been cooked. Serve warm or wrap and refrigerate for later. You can reheat the sandwiches in a toaster oven or skillet to enjoy throughout the week.
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 6 mins