We’re half-way through September and we’ve got out feet firmly planted in soup season, which makes me a happy gal. Is there anything better than slurping up a big bowl of broth-bathed meat, noodles, and veggies?
That was a rhetorical question– the answer is yes. Yes, there is, by a margin. Her name is Chili.
The one thing that can make me swoon more than homemade chicken noodle soup is a big batch of chili, preferably with beans (even though I know that’s essentially sacrilege to Texans. Sorry, I guess.) If you’re right there with me, giving the “two thumbs up” and drooling over the thought of tender, creamy beans soaking up the spices, then you’ll probably like what I’m about to throw at ya.
Ready for it? Crock Pot White Bean Chicken Chili. BAM.
This chili is made in a crock pot, loaded up with white beans, chicken, and green chiles, and finished off with a creamy sauce and a bit of sour cream mixed in.
And I could probably eat about 50 bowls of it without getting sick of it.
Now, it’s most certainly not your typical chili– the flavor of the Crock Pot White Bean Chicken Chili is way different, but I like different. You can never have too many chili recipes to switch things up throughout the chilly season. This is kind of like a hybrid between chili, bean soup, and cream of chicken soup. AKA it’s amazing. Top it with avocado and a bit of cheese and it’s just absolutely lush.
(I learned “absolutely lush” from a Briton, Charlotte, who came to visit the states with my friend Veronica this summer. I’ve been wanting to say it for months now, and this felt like the opportune time. AB-solutely LUUUUSH chili.)
Anyway, pop this in your slow cooker on the next cool September day and enjoy it with some tortilla chips or fritos and a big smile on your face.Print
Adapted from Lovely Little Kitchen
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp ground oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 2 (4.5) oz cans diced green chiles
- 15 oz can white corn, drained and rinsed
- 2 15.5 oz cans white beans (I used Cannellini and Small White beans)
- 14.5 oz can chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Lime, for serving
- Avocado, for serving
- Cilantro, for serving
- White cheese, for serving
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and place them at the bottom of the crock pot. Add in the chili powder, cumin, onion, garlic, oregano, coriander, cayenne pepper, green chiles, white corn, white beans, and chicken broth. Stir to combine, cover, and heat on “low’ for 6-8 hours, or until chicken shreds easily with a fork.
- An hour before serving, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Once the butter melts, whisk in the flour. Whisk constantly, until the flour and butter brown lightly and thicken. Then, slowly whisk in the milk. Add in the chicken bouillon, and continue to whisk as the sauce cooks and thickens and the bouillon cube breaks down, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and mix in the white pepper and salt. Pour into the chicken chili.
- Add the sour cream to the chicken chili and stir well to combine. If the chicken hasn’t shredded as you stirred, remove the chicken from the chili and shred with forks before returning to the chili. Cook for an additional hour.
- Serve with lime, avocado, cilantro, and shredded white cheese.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 7 hours