- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, minced + 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the can
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock, or water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the chopped onion and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about one more minute.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and add in the tomatoes, chipotle and adobo, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and stock or water. Pulse until nearly smooth.
- Transfer back into the skillet and bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Lasts up to 6 months when frozen.