- 1 pound refrigerated pizza dough, sat at room temperature for 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half crosswise to create a total of 4 thin chicken slices
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce, plus more to serve
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a smooth surface, cut the pizza dough into 3 equal-sized pieces. If your dough is sticking too much to the rolling surface, very lightly sprinkle the surface with flour. Roll the dough into long, even ropes, about 1.5 to 2 feet long. Tie each rope in a figure-8 knot and transfer to the prepared baking sheet, gently pulling at the ends to create a longer, thinner knot. Brush with olive oil and cover with plastic wrap for 20 minutes.
- Bake until cooked through and just beginning to turn golden on top, about 22-25 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chicken. Season the chicken slices with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Pour the flour and breadcrumbs into two additional, separate bowls. Dip the chicken pieces, one at a time, into the flour, then the eggs, then the breadcrumbs, patting and turning to adhere. Then, set the chicken aside on a large plate. Continue until all of the chicken has been breaded.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken in batches and cook until the chicken is browned and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- Carefully slice the baked bread knots in half, crosswise. Working spoon marinara sauce on the bottom of each bread knot half. Then, place a chicken cutlet on top. You will have one extra chicken cutlet, which you can use to double-up a sandwich or you can save for leftovers. Top the chicken cutlets with additional marinara. Place two slices of mozzarella cheese on each sandwich, and then sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Cover with the top bread knot halves and transfer back to the oven until warmed through and the cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
- While the sandwiches bake, make the garlic oil. In a small, microwave safe bowl, combine the garlic, remaining olive oil, and butter. Cover loosely and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, cover, and microwave again for 15 seconds, or until melted. Mix in the chopped parsley.
- Brush the sandwiches generously with the garlic oil mixture, making sure to scoop the garlic pieces with the pastry brush and dab them on the knots. Serve warm with additional marinara.