- 1 cup shredded chicken (leftover, rotisserie, or freshly poached)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 8 mozzarella string cheese sticks, cut in half crossways
- 4 flour tortillas, cut into quarters
- Oil, for frying
- Chopped cilantro, to top
- Salsa, sour cream, and guacamole, to serve
- In a large bowl, mix together the shredded chicken and diced green chiles. In a small, separate bowl, whisk together the flour and water to create a paste.
- Diagonally layer a heaping tablespoon of the green chile chicken on top of a tortilla quarter, parallel to the outer edge. Place a string cheese half on top of the chicken. Use a finger to generously coat the edges of the tortilla with the flour paste. Fold the top and bottom corners over the filling, then roll the remaining pointed corner inward and over the filling, and continue to roll until completely covered, like a burrito. Set aside, seam-side down, and repeat to form the rest of the quesadilla sticks.
- Heat a half inch of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the quesadilla sticks in batches, seam side down, and cook until golden on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip and continue to cook until browned all over and crisp, about 2 more minutes. Remove to a paper plate to absorb excess oil and repeat until all of the sticks have been fried.
- Serve topped with chopped cilantro and with salsa, sour cream, and/or guacamole for dipping.
There are three ways you can make Green Chile Chicken Quesadilla Sticks ahead for later. Either A) assemble them, freeze them on a baking sheet, transfer to a freezer bag, thaw and fry before serving; B) Fry them, let any excess oil drip off onto paper towels, freeze them on a baking sheet, transfer to a freezer bag, and reheat in the oven from frozen later; or C) Do all of the above but reheat by frying.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins