Summery pesto, flavorful grilled chicken, roasted red peppers, gooey mozzarella, and fresh Italian bread make this grilled sandwich a hit with everyone!
For the marinade:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt & ground pepper, to taste
For the sandwiches:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 loaf fresh Italian bread
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thick
- 1 cup pesto
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 12oz jar roasted red peppers, drained and cut into pieces
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a large freezer bag or large container. Add in the chicken breasts and let them marinate in the refrigerator overnight, or at least 4 hours.
- Cook the chicken on a high heat grill for about 5 minutes per side or in an oven set to 375 for 15 minutes.
- Chop up the chicken into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- Slice the Italian bread and smear pesto liberally on each slice. Layer on the roasted red peppers, grilled chicken, mozzarella, and a slice or two of tomato. Top with another slice of bread, pesto side down.
- Put the sandwiches back on the hot grill or on a tray in the oven, and weigh them down slightly so the ingredients combine. You can do this by using a spatula or cast iron grill press on the grill, or by placing another, greased baking sheet on top of the sandwiches in the oven.
- Flip halfway through to toast each side of the sandwich, and remove from heat once the cheese has begun to melt and the bread has gotten crisp. Serve hot, cold, or at room temperature.