Learn how to make Hot Cocoa Bombs and DIY all of your Christmas gifts this holiday season. These hot cocoa mix and marshmallow stuffed confections will have your friends and family oohing and ahhing as they melt away in warm milk to create the perfect cup of hot chocolate.
WHAT ARE HOT COCOA BOMBS?
Hot cocoa bombs (or hot chocolate bombs, whichever floats your marshmallows) are adorable balls of chocolate that have a little secret inside. Place a chocolate sphere in your mug and pour over hot milk or water to melt the shell and release the hidden hot cocoa mix and marshmallows! They can be made simply as traditional hot cocoa flavor, or with all sorts of add-ins like mint chocolate, peanut butter, and more.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Silicone molds. To make the chocolate balls, you’ll need a spherical silicone mold, such as a chocolate or baking mold. I actually happened to have silicone ice molds already that worked fine. Just make sure that the hot chocolate balls will fit snugly into a standard-sized mug when they’re fully assembled for the ideal results– half-spheres measuring about 2 to 2.5″ in diameter will be your best option!
- Chocolate. You can use chocolate chips if you have them on hand, or use high-quality chocolate for an even tastier shell. However, I honestly prefer the ease of working with chocolate melting wafers for this recipe. Why? Melting wafers are less likely to scorch or go grainy while you make your bombs in bulk, and they allow you to work will all sorts of colors and flavors without fuss.
- Hot cocoa mix. Grab your favorite hot cocoa mix and go to town– a tablespoon per hot cocoa bomb is the perfect amount for a mug full of deliciousness. I prefer to make my hot cocoa mix from scratch, so I’ll share the ridiculously simple recipe below so you can make your own, too.
- Flavorful fillings. Mini marshmallows are a must, but you can also get creative with the other add-ins. I mean, did a drizzle of caramel sauce ever do anyone wrong? I’ll add inspiration for creative flavor variations below.
MAKE YOUR OWN HOT CHOCOLATE MIX
If you’d like to make your hot cocoa mix yourself, you’re in luck, because it’s incredibly easy. All you need is three ingredients: powdered sugar, powdered milk, and cocoa powder. Whisk them together in a 2:2:1 ratio and you’ll have a ready-to-use mix.
Feel free to fancy up your hot cocoa mix by swapping in dutch processed cocoa for a darker hot chocolate, or finely grated white chocolate if you want a snow-colored drink!
HOW TO ASSEMBLE
- Melt the chocolate. Begin by melting your chocolate in the microwave or on the stove with a double boiler. Using a pastry brush or the back of a spoon, coat the inside of your spherical mold with the chocolate.
- Form the shell. Put the mold in the freezer for 5 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden. Brush with additional melted chocolate and freeze once more to build a thicker shell. Gently pop the chocolate shells out of the mold.
- Fill ’em up. In one half of each hot cocoa bomb, add mini marshmallows and hot cocoa mix. Place a microwave-safe plate in the microwave and heat for about 90 seconds, then press the other half of your chocolate sphere on the hot plate to smooth and melt the edges. Quickly place it on top of the filled half of your cocoa bomb and you’ll have a fully assembled sphere!
- Top it all off. From there, you can drizzle with additional melted chocolate and top with sprinkles, crushed cookies, and more for a pretty presentation.
HOT COCOA BOMB FLAVORS
When I made my cocoa bombs, I made boxes of 6 as Christmas presents, and all were differently flavored. Here are the ones I included!
- Traditional Hot Cocoa. Shell: Milk chocolate. Filling: Hot cocoa powder and marshmallows. Topping: dark chocolate drizzle and 3 marshmallows.
- Cookies & Cream. Shell: White chocolate + crushed chocolate cookies. Filling: Hot cocoa powder, crushed chocolate cookies, and marshmallows. Topping: White chocolate drizzle and more crushed chocolate cookies.
- Merry Grinch-Mints. Shell: White mint chocolate + green candy melts. Filling: Hot cocoa powder, chopped creme de menthe thins, and marshmallows. Topping: Green candy melt drizzle, decorative sugar, and a royal icing heart.
- Peppermint Mocha. Shell: White mint chocolate + crushed candy canes. Filling: Hot cocoa powder, espresso powder, and marshmallows. Topping: White mint chocolate drizzle and more crushed candy canes.
- Peanut Butter Cup. Shell: Peanut butter melts. Filling: Hot cocoa powder, chopped peanut butter cups, and marshmallows. Topping: Milk chocolate drizzle and chopped peanut butter cups
- Salted Caramel. Shell: Caramel melts. Filling: Hot cocoa powder, caramel syrup, and marshmallows. Topping: Caramel + vanilla melt drizzle and coarse sea salt.
WATCH THE VIDEO
- 6 ounces milk chocolate melts, chocolate chips, or chopped bar chocolate
- 1/3 cup hot cocoa mix
- Mini marshmallows
- 2 ounces dark chocolate melts or dark chocolate chips, melted, for drizzling
- Additional fillings and toppings, as desired
- Microwave the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave again, i 15 second intervals, sitrring inbetween, until the chocolate is melted. Alternatively, melt using a double boiler on the stovetop.
- Using the back of a spoon or a pastry brush, fully coat the inside of a half-sphere mold with chocolate. Transfer to the freezer to harden for 5 minutes and then paint with a second layer of melted chocolate, concentrating especially around the edges and sides to thicken the shell. Place in the freezer once more until firm, about 5 more minutes. Repeat as needed if there are any thin spots or holes.
- Gently remove the chocolate half-spheres from the molds. Place half of the half-spheres in cupcake cups to hold steady and fill with 1 tablespoon of hot cocoa mix and marshmallows, as well as any additional fillings you’d like to include.
- Microwave a microwave-safe plate for 90 seconds. One at a time, take one of the remaining unfilled half-spheres and gently press and twist on the hot plate to melt and smooth the edges. Place on top of a filled half-sphere to create a whole sphere.
- If any gaps remain, use a butter knife to gently fill cracks and creases with melted chocolate from the hot plate.
- Drizzle with melted dark chocolate and top with additional mini marshmallows, or decorate as desired.
- To serve, place a hot cocoa bomb in a mug and pour over very hot milk or hot water to melt the bomb. Stir to combine and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 45 mins