Adapted from Epicurious
- 1 cups basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeds and membranes removed, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 1/3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 1 handful mint leaves
- 1 handful cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup yogurt
- In a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, toast the almonds. Once they begin to brown and become fragrant, remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Add in the oil and saute the onion, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno until fragrant, about 1 minute. Mix in the garam masala and cumin and cook for 30 seconds. Pour in the water and stir in the salt and sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add in the lentils. Cook the lentils for 5 minutes. Add in the rice and raisins and return to a boil. Boil, uncovered for 5 minutes. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook until the water is absorbed, about 8 minutes. Remove the rice from the heat and let it sit, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato, cucumber, and reserved toasted almonds. Mix in the mint leaves and cilantro, reserving some to top.
- Combine the yogurt and lemon juice and drizzle over the rice salad. Garnish with the remaining herb leaves. Serve at room temperature.