For the Jalapeño Popper Taquitos:
- 6 jalapeño peppers, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 pound chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 8 ounces (1 package) cream cheese, softened
- 12 ounces (3 cups) shredded cheddar cheese
- 30 corn tortillas
- Oil, for frying
For the Creamy Avocado Sauce:
- 1 large avocado
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Sliced jalapeño pepper
- Crumbled cotija cheese
- Chopped cilantro
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the chorizo and jalapeños until cooked through, breaking up the chorizo as it cooks.
- Transfer the chorizo-jalapeño mixture to a large bowl and add the cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Mix well to combine.
- Heat 1″ of oil over medium heat. Place 1 tablespoon of the chorizo mixture in a line down the center of each tortilla. Roll the tortilla tightly around the filling, and place a dab of the mixture right toward the inside edge, to help the tortilla stay rolled.
- When the oil is hot, add 2 taquitos, seam-side down, to the oil. Fry, turning as necessary, until golden on all sides. Transfer to a paper-towel lined plate to absorb excess oil and cool. Repeat until all of the taquitos have been fried. If freezing the taquitos to reheat and eat later, freeze them at this stage.
- As the taquitos cool, combine the avocado, sour cream, 1/3 cup cilantro, and lime juice to a food processor. Process until creamy and well-combined. Season with salt, to taste.
- Drizzle the taquitos with the avocado sauce and garnish with sliced jalapeño peppers, cotija cheese, and chopped cilantro. Serve warm.