For the Quesadillas:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 3-4 tablespoons Walkerswood mild Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 12 oz creamy havarti cheese
- 1 green plantain, made into tostones
For the Mango Salsa:
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add in the chicken breasts. Boil the until chicken is fully cooked, about 15-20 minutes. Check to make sure there is no pink remaining, but don't overcook or the chicken will be rubbery.
- Shred the chicken with two forks and mix in a large bowl with the jerk seasoning and orange juice. Add the kidney beans and cilantro and toss to combine.
- Make the tostones and then drain out the excess oil from the pan, leaving just enough to prevent the quesadillas from sticking to the pan. Heat to medium.
- Layer the quesadilla fillings as follows: tortilla, cheese, tostones, chicken and bean mixture, cheese, tortilla. You should have enough for 2 large quesadillas. Make sure none of the fillings are too close to the edges of the quesadilla or they will spill out when the cheese begins to melt.
- Put the quesadilla in the pan and cook on each side until golden brown and the cheese is completely melted.
- While the quesadilla cooks, mix together the mango salsa ingredients.
- Serve the quesadilla warm with the mango salsa on top.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins