- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 20 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 cup dry orzo
- 3 eggs
- Juice of 1 large lemon, plus lemon slices to garnish
- Fresh chopped dill
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pot and cook until deeply golden browned, flipping once halfway through, about 15 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let cool.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the garlic and shake the pan to gently cook for 3 minutes. Don’t let the garlic brown, it should just become fragrant and soften slightly.
- Pour in the chicken stock. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the garlic from the chicken stock and add to the bowl of a blender or food processor along with the eggs and lemon juice. Process to combine. Continue to run the blender or food processor while slowly streaming in one cup of the hot stock until fully combined and smooth. Set aside.
- Bring the chicken stock in the pot to a boil. Add in the orzo, stir, and cook for 7 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Add the egg mixture to the soup and continue to cook over low heat until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken. Add the shredded chicken back to the soup. Season with dill, salt, and pepper, to taste. Garnish with additional dill and lemon slices, if desired, and serve with crusty bread.