For the Burgers:
- Olive oil, to cook
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Tomato, lettuce, red onion, and/or cheese, to top
- 3 burger buns or flatbreads, toasted
For the Pesto:
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (walnuts or roasted pumpkin seeds also work well)
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Olive oil
- In a food processor, combine the cilantro, pine nuts, parmesan, lime juice, garlic, and salt. Process until blended, and stream in olive oil until slightly grainy but fully incorporated and unified. Transfer the pesto to a small container, and press plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pesto to keep it from browning. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Lightly coat a skillet with olive oil and heat over medium-high.
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, jalapenos, garlic, and spices. Shape into 3 equally sized patties.
- Place the burgers in the skillet and cook until the burgers are done, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Place the cheese slices, if using, on the burgers and cook until melted, about 1 more minute.
- Spoon one to two tablespoons of the pesto onto each bottom bun. Place the turkey burgers on top, and then top with tomato, lettuce, and/or red onion. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins