Adapted from What’s Gaby Cooking‘s recipe!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Bite-sized mozzarella balls (I used ciliegine)
- 1/2 cup flour
- Olive oil, for pan frying
- Tomato sauce, to top
- Fresh basil, to garnish
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, eggs, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, parsley, and garlic powder. Mix until well combined.
- Shape the meatball mixture into small balls, and then press a ball of mozzarella into each. Reseal the meatball mixture around the mozzarella, making sure to cover it completely. You don’t want any mozzarella to be visible, or it will ooze out while you cook the meatballs.
- Once all of the meatballs have been stuffed, roll them in the flour., one at a time, to coat. Shake off any excess and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high.
- Once the oil has warmed, add in half of the meatballs and cook until browned, turning often.
- Once the meatballs brown, remove them from the skillet and add your second batch of meatballs.
- When those meatballs have also browned, remove them from heat and transfer all of the browned meatballs into a baking dish sprayed with nonstick spray (or, if your skillet is oven safe, simply transfer that into the oven). Place in the oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- While the meatballs cook, heat up your sauce in a small saucepan.
- When the meatballs are finished, spoon warm tomato sauce over the tops, garnish with basil, and serve.