For the Mushroom Carnitas:
- 2 1/2 pounds king oyster mushrooms, cleaned and cut into 4 sections
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 LA MORENA® Chipotle Pepper in Adobo, chopped, plus 1 teaspoon adobo from the can
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 dry bay leaf
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or vegan mayo
- Adobo sauce from canned LA MORENA® Chipotle Peppers in Adobo, to taste
- Corn or flour tortillas
- 1 very small head red cabbage, sliced
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- LA MORENA® Sliced Jalapenos
- In a large, heavy bottomed dutch oven or pot, combine all of the mushroom carnitas ingredients, and add water to mostly cover the mushrooms.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to a gentle boil until the mushrooms have softened and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Test to see if the mushrooms can be pulled apart easily with two forks. If not, add additional water and continue to cook again until the mushrooms can be pulled and the liquid has reduced. Pull the mushrooms and add them back to the pot. Drizzle with additional oil, as needed, and increase the heat to gently fry the edges of the mushrooms. If you’re having trouble getting your mushrooms to crisp, transfer them to a rimmed baking sheet and broil them until beginning to blacken.
- Before serving, mix the mayo with adobo sauce, to taste.
- Serve the mushroom carnitas inside of tortillas, with all of the toppings and a drizzle of chipotle mayo.