- 2 cups chicken broth, plus more as needed
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce (such as Frank’s buffalo sauce), plus more to taste
- 1 pound uncooked penne or ziti pasta
- 1 1/2 pounds (2-3) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 8 ounces (1 package) cream cheese
- 1 cup half and half
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces (1 cup) shredded meltable cheese (such as mozzarella, american, or pepper jack), divided
- 3 sprigs green onion, sliced,
- Blue cheese crumbles, to top, optional
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot or skillet, heat the chicken broth and buffalo sauce over medium-high heat. Stir in the dry pasta, making sure that the liquids just barely cover the pasta– if not, add a bit more chicken stock. Bring to a low boil and cook until pasta is nearly al dente, about 15, stirring often. The wider the pot or skillet, the quicker the pasta will cook, so be sure to test it occasionally.
- Reduce to low heat and stir in the half and half, cream cheese, shredded chicken, and half of the shredded cheese. Mix well and allow the cheese to melt into the sauce. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes, checking the pasta to get to your desired consistency. Stir in half of the green onion; and salt, pepper, and additional buffalo sauce, to taste.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese over the top and allow to melt. Top with green onion and blue cheese, if desired. Serve warm.