- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced, plus more to garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups instant rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 sprigs green onion, sliced, plus more to garnish
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 oz cream cheese, cubed
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, to top (optional)
- Cilantro, to garnish
- In a large, high-walled skillet or pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter and oil together. Season the cubed chicken breast with salt and pepper and then add to the pot. Add in the diced jalapenos and saute until the chicken has browned and the jalapeno has softened, stirring and turning often, about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add the instant rice, spices, and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and has absorbed the majority of the liquid, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add in the green onion, milk, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese, and stir until completely melted and evenly distributed.
- Transfer to oven safe dishes (or keep in the pot, if oven-safe) and sprinkle with breadcrumb. Broil until the tops have browned lightly, 1-2 minutes. Garnish with cilantro, sliced jalapeno, and green onion and serve warm.