- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 3/4 cup organic brown sugar (or date sugar)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips, divided (or vegan chocolate chips)
- Rinse the chickpeas and then place in a large bowl. Cover with 2″ of water and stir in 1 teaspoon of the baking soda. Let sit overnight, or for at least 6 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Transfer the chickpeas to a medium-sized pot and cover them with 4″ of water. Add the remaining teaspoon of baking soda and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium high and let cook at a vigorous simmer until chickpeas are extremely soft and beginning to fall apart, about 1 hour. Drain.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Transfer the warm chickpeas to a food processor and add in all of the remaining ingredients except for the dark chocolate chips. Process until completely smooth. While the mixture is still warm, add in 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips. Mix well to combine, until the chocolate is beginning to melt and swirl into the chickpea batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the batter with the back of a spoon. Top with the remaining chocolate chips. Bake until crackly and browned, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Let set for 10 minutes before removing and cutting into bars.