- 1 cup basil pesto, homemade or store-bought, plus more as needed
- 12 ounces pasta of choice
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Freshly shredded parmesan cheese, to serve
- Pine nuts, to serve
- Fresh basil leaves, to serve
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to serve, optional
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta to al dente. Remove the pasta from the pot using tongs, and reserve the pasta water.
- Transfer the pasta to a large bowl. Add 1 cup of pesto and 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Toss to combine and add additional pasta water as needed to fully coat the pasta in glossy pesto sauce.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Top with parmesan cheese, pine nuts, basil leaves, and crushed red pepper flakes, if desired. Serve warm or cold.