- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped, plus additional leaves to top
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage meat
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 10 slices provolone cheese, cut into halves
- 10 slices mozzarella cheese, cut into halves
- 1 pound refrigerated pizza dough
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to top, optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add in the grated onion and cook until slightly browned. Add in the garlic, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, and then add in the tomaatoes, basil, salt, oregano, and sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
- In a separate pan, break apart and cook the sausage. Add the crumbles to the prepared tomato sauce, mix well, and set aside.
- Liberally brush the insides of 4 small, oven-safe bowls or large ramekins with olive oil. Layer 5 halves of provolone cheese and 5 halves of mozzarella cheese in each bowl. Divide the sauce and sausage mixture evenly amongst the 4 bowls and set aside.
- Lightly flour a flat surface and place the pizza dough on top. Cut into 4 even pieces. Pull and pinch the edges of the dough pieces to the bottom of the dough to create dough balls. Cover loosely with a kitchen towel and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Brush the outsides of the bowls with oil.
- Gently stretch the edges of each dough ball to create large, flat disks. Stretch the disks over the bowls to cover the filling, leaving about an inch of dough hanging over the edges. Press the dough along the side of the bowls to seal.
- Transfer the dough-covered bowls to a baking sheet, leaving plenty of room in between for the dough to expand as it cooks. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the Pizza Bowls from the oven and brush with additional olive oil. Let cool for 2 minutes.
- Using pot holders, flip the Pizza Bowls onto plates. Run a spoon between the edge of the bowl and the crust to help release it. Twist and pull out the bowl. Use the spoon to scoop out the cheese, if necessary.
- Top with fresh basil and crushed red pepper flakes. Serve immediately.