For the Pomegranate Simple Syrup:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
For the Pomegranate New York Sour:
- 2 ounces bourbon or rye whiskey
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ounce pomegranate simple syrup
- 1 egg white (optional)
- 1 ounce red wine
- Pomegranate seeds, to top
- In a small pot, combine the water, granulated sugar, and pomegranate seeds. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour the simple syrup mixture into a bowl through a strainer to catch the seeds. Discard the seeds and let the syrup cool.
- Combine the whiskey, lemon juice, 1 ounce of pomegranate simple syrup, egg white, and ice in a cocktail shaker and shake for 1 minute. Strain into a rocks glass with fresh ice.
- Gently pour red wine over the back of a spoon held just above the surface of the cocktail. Top with pomegranate seeds.