- 2 tablespoon oil
- 8 chicken pieces (4 drumsticks & 4 thighs)
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces Spanish chorizo sausage, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 15 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, plus more if needed
- 10 ounces mini yukon gold potatoes, halved
- 2 15-ounce cans butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme
- 6 ounces baby leaf spinach
- Crusty bread, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or oven-safe pot over medium-high heat. Season the chicken parts liberally with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken pieces, a few at a time, until crisp all over but not cooked through. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Add the chorizo to the pot and fry until the chorizo releases its oils, about 3 minutes. Stir in the onion and bell pepper and reduce the heat to low. Cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Mix in the garlic and chili powder and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken stock, potatoes, butter beans, thyme sprigs and bay leaf and bring to a light boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pot. Cover and transfer to the oven. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Stir in the spinach until it wilts. Serve warm with crusty bread.