- 1 cup bbq sauce, plus more to serve
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (4 to 5-pound) pork shoulder
FOR THE SPICE MIXTURE:
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- Brioche burger buns, toasted
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, whisk together the bbq sauce, chicken stock, apple cider vinegar, and liquid smoke. Add in the onions and garlic and stir to combine.
- Combine all of the spices in a small bowl and rub all around the pork, including inside any folds in the meat. There should not be any remaining spices when finished.
- Place the pork in the slow cooker, cover, and cook on low until easily shredded with a fork, about 10 hours. Remove the pork from the slow cooker and shred.
- Ladle over some of the juices from the slow cooker. Top with extra bbq sauce and toss.
- Serve on toasted brioche buns with coleslaw, if desired.