- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Optional: hatch green chile or jalapeno for added heat, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cans Cuban seasoned black beans, drained (but do not rinse!)
- 2 1/2 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
- Sour cream, to top
- Cilantro, to top
- Tomatoes, to top
- Limes, to serve
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium heat, saute the onion until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add in the garlic (and no more than a 1/2 pepper without seeds, if using), stirring as you saute for about a minute, and then add in the chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- After an additional minute of constant stirring, add in the beans and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer and cook until the soup has thickened, stirring occasionally, about 15-20 minutes. Remove half of the soup and blend it in a blender or food processor, or use an immersion blender. Once smooth, add it back to the soup to thicken. Add hot sauce to taste, stir, and heat through.
- Top with cilantro, a squeeze of lime, tomatoes, sour cream, and serve.