When I bought them, I had every intention of using my fresh strawberries and kiwis into a fruity summer salsa. I imagined scooping it on top of crisp tortilla chips or flaky fish tacos, and was enthralled at the idea.
But then I thought, What if I added rum to the salsa? That would be delicious.
And then, What if I added mint to the rum-soaked salsa?! Yes. YES.
And eventually I abandoned the whole fruit salsa idea in favor of Strawberry-Kiwi Frozen Mojitos. While I’m positive that the salsa would have been out-of-this-world, I have no regrets.
You won’t have any regrets either as long as you make these Mojitos tonight.
Yes, I’m aware it’s a Tuesday. Who cares if you have work in the morning? Some things are too tasty to wait for the weekend. Strawberry-Kiwi Frozen Mojitos just so happen to fall into that category.
If you need any more convincing, just look at the drink pictures. Just for a few seconds. That glass of pink and green frozen splendor is calling out for you. DRINK ME. DRIIIINK MEEEEEE.
Please excuse me, by the way. I had the brilliant idea of adding a double shot of espresso to my coffee this morning, which wound up being a horrible decision on multiple levels. If this blog post is all over the place, it’s because my body apparently cannot handle this much caffeine. It reminds me of the time I decided to drink coffee and an energy drink while listening to O Fortuna before going to work.
Don’t ever do that, by the way. It’s really a terrible idea, but you probably didn’t need me to tell you that.
But I digress. This recipe. These Strawberry-Kiwi Frozen Mojitos. If you (like me) are going to need a little help winding down after a long (potentially highly caffeinated) day at work, this is how you do it. With a ton of fruit, a generous “splash” of rum, a little sweet simple syrup, and the fresh boost of mint, all blended up with ice cubes for a few glasses of frozen comfort on this hot August day.
Well, what are you waiting for?
- 1 ½ cups chopped strawberries, frozen
- 1 ½ cups chopped kiwi, frozen
- 3 tablespoons simple syrup, divided
- 8 fresh mint leaves, divided
- 3 ounces rum, divided
- 3 ½ cups crushed ice, divided
- Strawberry and kiwi slices, to garnish
- Mint leaves, to garnish
- In a blender, combine the 1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries, 1 1/2 tablespoons simple syrup, 4 mint leaves, one shot of rum, and 1 3/4 cups of crushed ice (if you have whole cubes, crush them in the blender first). Blend until well combined and slushy-like.
- Pour the strawberry mojito into 3 (8 oz) glasses, filling half-way.
- Rinse out the blender jug and combine the remaining 1 1/2 cups chopped kiwi, 1 1/2 tablespoons simple syrup, 4 mint leaves, shot of rum, and 1 3/4 cups crushed ice. Blend to desired consistency.
- Pour the kiwi mojito over the strawberry mojito.
- Garnish with kiwi, strawberry, and mint.
- Serve immediately.
Get recipes delivered hot & fresh to your inbox!