- 1/4 cup uncooked jasmine rice, plus more cooked jasmine rice to serve, if desired
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound ground chicken (use thighs and chop for best texture)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (from 2–3 limes)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 Thai bird’s eye chiles, or to taste.
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 10 whole mint leaves, more for serving
- Butter, bibb, or boston lettuce leaves
- In a dry wok or pan over low heat, toast the rice, stirring often until they turn a deep golden color and smell nutty, about 10 minutes. Grind to a coarse powder using a mortar and pestle, coffee grinder, spice grinder, food processor, or blender. Set aside.
- Return the wok to high heat and add oil. Once hot, add the ground chicken. Stir fry until the chicken is browned and crisp, then add in the sugar, fish sauce, and lime juice.
- Stir fry for another minute, and add the toasted rice powder, chilies, shallots, and scallions., cilantro, and mint. Stir fry for one more minute, then adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve in lettuce cups or with rice.