- 12 oz dry elbow macaroni (NOTE: whole wheat pasta does not work well here!)
- 1 1/4 cups gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 10 slices American cheese, chopped
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Paprika, to garnish (optional)
- Chopped parlsey, to garnish (optional)
- Spray the inside of the crock pot bowl with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of the slow cooker, combine the macaroni, cheeses, evaporated milk and skim milk. Stir well to combine. Cover and cook on low for 1 1/2 hours. NOTE: (Your crock pot cooking temp and time may vary. The first time you make this in your crock pot, check every once and a while before the 1 1/2 hour mark to see if your cheese is melted and your pasta is nearly al dente. This may be 45 mins, an hour, or possibly longer than 1 1/2 hours. If you check, you’ll be alright!)
- Fold and stir in the dry mustard, nutmeg, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Make sure you’re folding enough to break up any pocket of cheese or milk that may exist from the previous hour and a half of cooking. Let cook on low for another 30 minutes.
- At this point, your Three Cheese Crock Pot Mac ‘n’ Cheese should be creamy, cheesy, and fully cooked. Serve with a sprinkle of paprika and chopped parsley.
Feel free to mix in jalapenos or cooked ham for a tasty twist!