For the Yogurt Marinated Lamb Skewers
- 3 cups plain, whole-milk yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 medium onion, finely minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless lamb, cubed
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for an hour
For the Mint-Pistachio Pesto Pilaf
- 1 cup mint leaves, packed
- 2/3 cup roasted, salted, shelled pistachios, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- Combine all of the ingredients for the lamb skewers (except for the wooden skewers) in a large bowl. Mix well to combine and make sure that the lamb is entirely coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pesto. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the mint leaves, 1/3 cup of the pistachios, and the 2 cloves of garlic. Pulse until finely chopped. Run the food processor and slowly stream in the olive oil until well-combined, and then mix in the lemon juice and salt, to taste.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add in the onion and red pepper and cook until the onion is softened but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add the dry rice and toast it, stirring constantly, until it gives off a nutty aroma, about 3 more minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and season with salt. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium. Cook until the liquid is nearly absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Fold in the peas, reduce the heat to low, and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes, uncovered. Fluff the rice and mix in the mint-pistachio pesto. Set aside.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat and coat it with cooking spray. Thread the marinated lamb onto the soaked skewers. Arrange 4 skewers at a time on the pan and cook for 7 minutes or until the lamb reaches the desired degree of doneness, turning halfway through. Remove from the pan and repeat with remaining skewers.
- Serve the lamb skewers warm with the pilaf.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 1 hour