- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, water, and butter. Stir until the butter melts entirely. Bring to a boil.
- Let the caramel boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent any burning on the bottom. You want it to be decently thick and sticky at this point– the evaporated milk and vanilla extract will thin it and make it creamy. However, don’t let it get too hard. It will also stiffen up as it sets and cools.
- Remove the caramel from heat and mix in the evaporated milk and vanilla extract. Stir in the salt and taste– add more if desired. You can use the sauce immediately or refrigerate it for up to a week. You can also freeze it, if desired. Warm before using.