- 1 – 1.5 lbs lean ground chicken
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, plus an extra drizzle for cooking the rice
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) jar salsa
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 green onion, chopped, to garnish
- Fresh cilantro, to taste
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the ground chicken and break it up a bit with a wooden spoon. Add the diced onion and cook until the chicken has browned and the onion is translucent.
- Move the chicken and onion over to one side of the pan and drizzle just a bit more oil on the empty side. Add in the uncooked rice and toss it around briefly to toast it.
- Stir in the spices, chicken broth, salsa, corn, and black beans. Bring the liquids to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 18 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid has absorbed.
- Taste the rice and adjust seasoning to your liking. Sprinkle the tomato, cheese, and avocado over the rice and then cover once more until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Then sprinkle with green onion and cilantro and serve!
Feel free to sub in pinto beans for black beans (or use them in addition) if desired!